Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conflicting Scripts - Unity C#

Hey! Thanks to anyone helping!

I'm working on a 2D platformer. The issue I'm facing is that I have two separate scripts; one for movement and one for attacks. My attack script has a dash like movement which is conflicting with my movement script. I know this because I can run them both separately and they work on their own, but when I run both at the same time, dashing doesn't work.

So, the question is, how can I make my dash work having both scripts active?

This is my movement function, which I call in the FixedUpdate function:

void walk() {

// Walk
    moveInput = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
    rb.velocity = new Vector2(moveInput * walkSpeed, rb.velocity.y);

// Turns when facing opposite direction
    if (moveInput > 0) {
      transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
    } else if (moveInput < 0) {
      transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(0, 180, 0);
    }
  }

And this is my dashing script, which I call in the Update function of a different script:

void dashMove() {
    if (!dashing) {
      if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Space)) {
        dashing = true;
      }
    } else {
      if (dashTime <= 0) {
        dashing = false;
        dashTime = startDashTime;
        rb.velocity = Vector2.zero;
      } else {
        dashTime -= Time.deltaTime;
        if (transform.eulerAngles.y >= 0) {
          rb.velocity = Vector2.right * dashSpeed;
        } else {
          rb.velocity = Vector2.left * dashSpeed;
        }
      }
    }
  }

Comments

• If you have one script in Update and the other in FixedUpdate they will likely be executing in different frames (at least for many frames). Move them both to a FixedUpdate step (Assuming that you are using physics or animation elsewhere) and I think the behaviour will become consistent.

• SanderSander Member

Usually what I do is have anything physics related in FixedUpdate, while Inputs and such is in the normal Update

• I tried changing both to FixedUpdate and it still doesn't work. However it helped me to find the exact part that's giving issues. So, I managed to make it work adding this validation to the movement script:

if (moveInput != 0)  {
      rb.velocity = new Vector2(moveInput * walkSpeed, rb.velocity.y);
    }

However it doesn't let me dash while walking, so this is not the expected behaviour. I read somewhere that adding states and enabling/disabling scripts based on current state should work. Could someone confirm if this is all right to do? I mean, it should work, but since dashing is a milliseconds state, I'm not sure if this is a proper solution to my issue. Thanks in advance!