Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

issues with coding

i am having issues with understanding coding language is there a easy language that unity will read

Comments

• No, until a while back Unity also supported JavaScript and Boo, but both of them are no longer supported and at the time of writing this Unity only supports 1 language, C#. Also if you are having trouble understanding C# I would advice you to learn a simpler language first, like Python or JavaScript because they are much easier and will help you understand the fundamentals of coding such as For loops, While Loops, If statements, Objects and Classes and much more. Then later when you will start learning C# it would be easier for you to understand.

• Also, try learning Java as well, because C# and Java are very similar, although not the same.

• Python can be pretty easy in the beggining to learn, its far from the best for game development, but helps you understand programming. Remember to have fun when learning and dont over work your self. If python is still a bit confusing, then learn html. It isnt used for game development but whill help you under stand coding on a basic level for problem solving skills.

• SeanSean Member

C# isn’t too tough with Unity, just remember - you don’t need to learn the whole language on day one. You just need to learn enough to make things start working. Reading other people’s code is a great way. Also if you are following any steps on YouTube tutorials and they offer the code for download to help.. do not download it. Type it out yourself and pause the video when you need to catch up. Most people will learn faster by typing out the code. Just downloading it and trying to read it can be a waste of time. Best of luck buddy.

• LeMorrowLeMorrow Member
    edited May 2020

Lots of people are answering with different programming languages here. Nobody seems to have mentioned Visual Scripting, which Unity is developing for exactly this purpose. Take a look at this link here to get started with Visual Scripting, which means you don't need to write any text: https://unity.com/how-to/make-games-without-programming.

You'll use a visual language, which is more intuitive and easier for most people, especially beginners. On drawback you'll have is that it's a pretty new feature, so there will be less tutorials on it. But I think it could be worth trying out for you :)

NOTE: On second look, they're still working on their visual scripting and it's not released yet, I think. There are still third party software that allow visual scripting. Be on the lookout for when their official support releases!

Learning how to code takes time, it's a skill that you'll learn the more you work with it, just like learning how to play the guitar or anything else. Don't be discouraged or overwhelmed, start simple!

• ItsAvyyItsAvyy Member

I'm a bit ignorant on the subject having never really used or looked into visual scripting, but from my point of view Visual scripting for a beginner would only be helpful to a certain point. It will help you understand basic concepts with C# and Unity but you will quickly find out that certain operations are simply much more difficult and time consuming to script visually versus actually writing the code yourself. With no experience, learning a language like C# can certainly be a challenge, but as it stands right now I don't think you can completely rely on visual scripting in its entirety. You can certainly start working with something like Bolt or Unity's WIP visual solution, but I would still highly recommend at least dipping your toes in C# early and just work your way through it.

• WarpWarp Administrator
    edited May 2020

@ItsAvyy is right.

Visual scripting is not magic. You're using the same functions/variables as regular coding.

It flows the same, it works the same, the only difference being that you connect nodes that are assigned to the corresponding code block.

If you want to get started in visual scripting, go right ahead. Eventually however, you should learn some basic C# scripting because it will not only help your visual scripting, it will help the logic of your games, and it runs a bit faster.

Just to put this out there, don't let people scare you away from programming, its not as bad as you think. The whole "Coding is annoying, with visual scripting you dont have to worry about missing a bracket or parenthesis" is complete garbage. Stuff like that is a problem you run across when you are literally programming for the first time in your life, so you will get over that instantly.

You reap what you sow, put in effort, and you will get something out of it. Good luck!

• LeMorrowLeMorrow Member
    edited May 2020

I agree with you both, @ItsAvyy and @Warp, it's not a replacement, but it's a way to start. Getting started is usually the hard part. I've taught Scratch to classes with kids ages 8-12 and just starting to get in the mindset of programming is a big step of the way there. I'm not saying visual scripting is a replacement for C#, nor will it ever be. That's my mistake for not being clear enough.

The "skill of programming" is many things, like logical thinking, syntax, mathematics, focus, searching the internet, the skill of learning... I would argue that the logical thinking is one of the most important parts when you want to "learn" programming. Visual scripting will help with that, since it will visually give you feedback on what's going on while removing emphasis on syntax or performance. Those are things you can (and will) pick up later, once you start with a programming language.

This whole discussion is a bit wordy and is the very reason many people get turned off by programming. There's simply no "best way" to get started. What you really need is to just get started with something, at least in my experience. Make something fun and ask a lot of questions :)

• the only issues with visual coding it seems is the fact that there are no good ones for free or low cost

• Try learning the base concepts of programming first(use any language) such as variables, functions, loops, if else statements, switch statements, then move on to learn more advanced stuff. With it you will have a strong foundation of programming.