Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Automating Django database changes

I'm new to Django, and relatively new to programming in Python. The first project I'm planning to make in Django is going to be a dashboard for monitoring network hosts (access points, switches, routers). I already have classes in Python that can pull the data that I need from the API of the various hosts that I'm intending to monitor. Right now I'm using this data to generate email reports of hosts that are offline.

The way I envision this working in Django is building classes in models.py for the various components (our paying clients, routers, access point controllers, access points, switches, etc). These classes will build the database tables and their relationships. From there I planned on running cron jobs with scripts that would manually update these databases with psycopg2. I'd be doing things like adding new entries, deleting old entries, and updating existing ones. This would happen completely separate from the tools that Django provides for database management.

Now to the questions:

1. Is there anything outlined above that would not work the way I envision it working?
  2. Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish? I want to have a lot of control regarding how hosts are monitored, created, deleted and updated. I also need to have a view that would be client facing, and one for our internal IT team. If there is an open source software that can already do what I'm trying to do then I'm open to that.

3. Thank you for your time.