Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

list of games to code as a teaching tool

I retired a few years ago and have turned to coding to scratch my creative itch.

I decided on Unity and C# but got frustrated with learning both at the same time and have decided to get decent at C# first before I dive back into Unity. I have found the best way for me to learn is to code games from scratch. What games/demos have people found to be great teaching tools?

At this point the most advanced stuff I have coded is:

mouse finds cheese in randomly generated maze

testris

snake

wire frame 3D maze

I am currently working on checkers where P2 is AI but when I am done I want to code maybe 2 more games/demos before I move to Unity. Thanks in advance :)

Best Answers

• Sugar_SnailSugar_Snail Member
    Accepted Answer

i would say some sort of simple space shooter. Like space invaders or something

• BarjiBarji Member
    Accepted Answer

Pong and pacman are always good to try.

• JIMMY_VASHI04JIMMY_VASHI04 Member
    Accepted Answer

#Easy

*pong

*tictactoe

*space invaders

#Medium

*snake

*fruit ninja

*racing

#Hard

*maze generation(with player can set its own size)

*minesweeper(with player can set own grid size)

*make a system that player can assign their own input for movement or something.

#Intermediate

*multiplayer game

*try to resolve your old codes and make them sorter

*more complex games like storyline or open world

• JIMMY_VASHI04JIMMY_VASHI04 Member
    Accepted Answer

Remember one thing always no language is made for a particular engine or console

You can even make a language translation system that translates a like js to cs or cs to python

All you have to do is have petitions,keep track of what is done so far and how it is done cause if you take a break from that the more complex the code the more you forget.

Answers

• Pong is already a bit too simple for where I am at but pacman is absolutely on my list.

A shooter is also a great idea. Space invaders actually has a lot going on and thinking about it seems like it would have a few interesting challenges to code.

• @JIMMY_VASHI04 I am not switching back to Unity until I get a bit more comfortable with C# on its own so some of those are it a bit out of reach without Unity handling the graphics. I didn't feel like learning a graphics engine that I was going to drop as soon as I went back to Unity so I wrote some interesting rendering code that works on console. This may only work on PC, a mac buddy of mine said a lot of my stuff errors on his Mac.

You can adapt this to do a lot of stuff in console. I made a 3D wire frame maze demo using a lot of the same code. I'll post that up when I get home later today.

You are right about refactoring code. I should go back and tighten stuff up. Even the attached code sample is far from perfect. I may also suck at commenting code......a bit.

• @JIMMY_VASHI04

I'm not super concerned about that. I am retired and just having fun. C# and unity seemed to be a good compromise between powerful enough to do whatever I want and easy enough to learn and use. I've looked at Python and it feels too much like the wild west, I like things a little more structured. C and C++ were a little too intensive for what I want to do. I really don't see a need to be super close to bare metal to make games.