Jump in isometric (2.5d) scene

Updated on May 13, 2019 in [A] Unity Scripting
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
2 on May 13, 2019

HI

Im trying to mimic the isometric platformer games of the past (for example, Head Over Heels). The player moves fwd/back/left/right but the axis is rotated 45 degress to the right (so, pressing forward, turns your character towards top-right of the screen and walks “fwd”, left turns to top-left of the screen and walks “fwd”, down is towards bottom-left and right is towards bottom-right). I’ve got the walking, now attempting to do the “jump”

I’m currently using:

if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.Space) &&IsGrounded ()) {
body.AddForce (Vector3.up*JumpForce, ForceMode.Impulse);
}
and have spent ages messing about with the rigidbody mass, but the jump is still too floaty when landing.
I believe that maybe I should be manually calculating the jump instead of using gravity, is that correct or is there a combination of mass/force/gravity that will look”real”

Note: In general all things drop quickly, 1st player-character can jump 1 square high and fall quickly/immediately, 2nd player-character can jump 4 squares high, floats down and can be controller in midair

Should I persevere with gravity or do an adaption of playercontroller (ugh, the maths, ugh)

• Liked by
0 on May 13, 2019

Check out this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KiK0Aqtmzc

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on May 13, 2019

@Mouledoux – that was brilliant! Thanks!

Of course, now my cube is sliding when it lands, but ill keep going

• Liked by
Cancel